In October 2010, the members of Elevator Pitch Press (comprised of a group of Comics Experience alums from the first online Intro to Comic Book Writing class) were talking about what to do next after our first release: Tales from the Comics Experience.
We decided to do an anthology of zombie stories married with historical events, and that led to the three issues of Great Zombies in History (GZiH) that came out earlier this year.
We also wanted to have another anthology that was tied to a singular theme. Many names were bandied about, and we settled on the theme FEAR. However, our energies were completely invested in the GZiH books, so “FEAR” fell by the wayside. Time passed and some of the EPP members had other commitments and had to pull out.
Last March, I attended C2E2 in Chicago and spent a fair amount of time in the Artist Alley and Small Press areas. After looking at the various books that were being sold (especially after having seen some of the finished GZiH stories), I felt that we at Elevator Pitch Press could put something out that would be just as good as anything being sold at that con.
Emboldened by a newfound confidence, I emailed the group and offered to take the lead. This was the first time that I took charge of anything since my high school yearbook.
Thankfully, working with these guys has been a pleasure. The level of professionalism in this group would impress any editor in the industry. Everyone got their stories to me in time for the book to be ready for New York Comic Con.
The hardest aspect of getting this book together was deciding on a title. After seeing the cover by Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitan, The Boys) and Richard P. Clark, the one thing that came to mind was...Don’t Be Afraid.
While I am no expert on editing, I did take away some important lessons from this experience:
- When editing an anthology for and with other writers, try not to be a dictator. You must respect that the other creators have invested their time (and in some cases, money) into their stories, so they have as much equity in this project as you do.
- If there is an aspect to the creative process that you are not completely comfortable with, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Graphic design is not a strength of mine, so I was able to get logo/lettering/design master (and Creators Workshop member) ET Dollman to help me lay out the book and get it to the right printing specs.
- When developing a set of deadlines, give yourself some wiggle room because more often than not, there will be some hiccups along the way. An artist can flake out, a writer might want to tweak a line of dialogue, or life can just get in the way.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate. I can’t stress enough how important this is. In fact, I feel this is an area that I must improve on for future projects. If something is holding things up, let the other creators know. If you think something in a scene doesn't work, let them know. It gives the creators confidence in you, and will result in a better product overall.
- Find a printer that you are comfortable with. Do not settle for a printer solely because of one person’s recommendation. Make the extra effort to compare prices and turn-around time. Find out if they will provide a proof. You will be surprised at the varying degrees of customer service and overall product quality.
Dan Rivera is on Twitter as @danriveraprime and can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. His webcomic, Platinum Falls, will be live in 2012.
If you want to make comics, write, draw, letter, and color comics, or improve as a comics creator, you'll find like-minded friends and colleagues in our online workshops and courses. We hope to see you there!
Posted by Rob Anderson
Twitter / Facebook
Twitter / Facebook
A pesar de que los bolsos MK son lo que he acuñado como "lujo asequible", una persona con los presupuestos más ajustados puede tener dificultades para comprar una bolsa por cien dólares o más.(Bolsos Michael Kors Rebajas) MK tiene bolsos que van de pequeño, mediano a grande. y varían en precios.(Bolsos Michael Kors Baratos) Los bolsos más pequeños ni siquiera son bolsos ... se llaman muñequeras.(bolsas michael kors precios) O, los uso para billeteras para ciertos bolsos.(Bolsos Michael Kors Outlet) Es mucho más barato hacerlo de esa manera que tratar de tener. una billetera para cada bolso MK que poseas.(bolsos michael kors rebajas)ReplyDelete
Om du planerar att äga en MK handväska och inte vill betala mycket över hundra dollar, är det bästa alternativet att vara den mindre väskan.(Michael Kors Plånbok)Om du är seriös om att hitta MK handväskor för mindre än du bättre tittar på någon annanstans.(MK Väska) Hemligheten att hitta MK handväskor till rabatterat pris är att handla online på en webbshop som säljer autentiska MK handväskor.(Väskor Michael Kors Rea) Du kan hitta bra handväskor till priser som du bara önskat att du kunde betala.(michael kors väska rea) Alla sökningar har gjorts för dig. Jag sparar inte bara pengar, utan också tid.(michael kors väska rea)
Les sacs à main Longchamp sont à la mode et très pratiques.(Longchamp Soldes Destockage) Étant donné que beaucoup de femmes se retrouvent souvent submergées de choses à emporter chaque jour.(Sac A Main Longchamp) Longchamp a relevé le défi en créant des sacs à main qui sont aussi des fourre-tout polyvalents.(Sac Longchamp Pliage)Les sacs à main Longchamp sont des produits de qualité portant un nom réputé.(longchamp soldes) Les sacs à main Longchamp sont grands et spacieux, mais restent très à la mode et très demandés.(pronote college longchamp)
I've just got graduated and like half of the students tried to combine the studies and a part-time job, it's difficult to be in 2 places at the same time but these guys ghost writing paper helped me a lot a made my studies much easier, follow the link if you know what I mean.ReplyDelete
Never be afraid to seek for assistance if there is a part of the creative process with which you are not entirely comfortable. I was able to work with logo/lettering/design expert ET Dollman (a Creators Workshop member) to lay out the book and get it to the proper printing specifications because of the best online web design services.ReplyDelete
It's rare that I can't write an essay, and that's why there is this site https://writemypaper.help/ where you can find your own writer who will do my work as an assistant who will do any written work for a small price. .ReplyDelete